Powered by Blogger.

Social Icons

Late Saturday Thoughts - A Rose For Epona Or A Rose For The Lost, TheFallen And For Me?

By 7/06/2013 10:53:00 pm

This particular song "A Rose For Epona" is included in Swiss band Eluveitie last year in February. Do you ever feel the solitude of not being able to share your favourite songs and bands with others as you're a weird who are not at all welcomed? Nobody understands you and your taste, hence you step back into the dark and bury yourself in the flow of melodies (which itself contains the word "dies") and loneliness.

I remember this time last year, things were so different. I was having my summer holiday and was almost ready for my 4th and last year in university. I had so little to think about but my recreation. Over a year ago our family got a computer as a way to communicate with my sister's family which has relocated in Australia ever since. The unforgettable feeling of finally got a computer, how it felt and how strange it was to see a computer in my own house. We have never been a wealthy family, but nobody believes in the ups and downs we have been through. Maybe that partially contributes to my personality and being so close to my family yet so lonely as not many people can understand me while I speak so little.

I have been listening to this song nonstop for over a year and still get so emotional every time I hit the replay button (which for this moment it's over 5 times). The songs open with a sad flute melody and then followed by powerful guitars and emotional vocals. Not often do I see a female vocalist in a metal band. Musically speaking, this song consists of many strange and exotic elements which make it so addictive.  I don't really care about neither the lyrics nor the music video, all I get from this song are thoughts and emotions. I can imagine a little girl with sad eyes in a torn cape holding a torn bag walking barefoot around the remnants of her village. All is gone. No family, no neighbours, no relatives, no dear sights. All she can see is dust, smoke and fire. Was anyone there to comfort her? Would anyone offer her a shelter? Where would see go? What would her destined to be? What could the cause be, that the whole picture got torn apart? Your initial purpose is to, maybe simple just to punish someone, to fulfill your selfishness and cruelty. Disgrace can be much more powerful than one can imagine. Your one moment's happiness can result in another's eternal pain.

Now that the song stops, what is left to do now? I can't understand the prejudice that metal is the root of evil. Who says it doesn't bring emotions, thoughts and pain? This song and its atmosphere somewhat reminds me of who I am and what I'm doing. I am just like the lost little girl: I remember being in my 5th grade and one afternoon on my way back from school (my school was a small one near a mountain) my neightbours kept asking me how my family would do about it. About what exactly? I soon found out that our entire crop went to hell. I soon found out that we had so much debts that we no way could pay back. No matter how hard my parents work, it wasn't enough, we were stuck in the circle of sweat and debts. We had then sell all our properties and exile to another place. The peaceful childhood ended at that time. In the new place my parents had to work from early in the morning until late at night, means I had so many time home alone after school. I had way too much time to think, and way too much loneliness, which builds up my personality now. And now my life has made its twist, I'll soon no longer be in university. Life's just started to hit me on the face. Money makes my world go round, I have to work yet I detest what I've been doing. But I can't follow my dream just yet, not when I have so much to care about, not just myself. My childhood and happy days are burnt, future unknown. The torn bag I carry is my dream, burden and uncertainty. Will anyone give me a rose to brighten up my upcoming days?

Would the rose comfort the little girl? Would it be any help? Would a single rose heal her pain and lead her to a better place? I think not. My rose, what could it be?

There's no sin in being different. There's no sin in being afraid. On the dirty road you're walking on, while some others' might be smoothened with roses, youe ultimate goal is to reach the rose: peacefulness. One can't expect too much, can't expect destiny to smile on them and give them luminous magics. What you have now is the map to reach that ultimate goal. No map, no right paths. But with the map it does also mean twist and wrongs, but you know somewhere there's a place where the rose grows. Every step you take, it grows stronger than ever, and ready to be yours.

Spend a moment to be carried away by such a heart-breaking song, shall we? Music for me is not only mere music, even though I listen to way many senseless songs, it also makes me think and meditate. That's what music, no matter what genre, means: a medium of escapism.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Suggestions? Thoughts? Do share, I would love to hear from you.