Powered by Blogger.

Social Icons

Musical Throwback Thursday #3 - The Little Fortunate Incident That Brought Me To Apocalyptica

By 7/18/2013 03:46:00 pm

Today's Thursday already? Universe, you can't be serious! Anyway, it means another Musical Throwback Thursday post, which I do enjoy writing. I've written 2 posts of the same "series" already and some other music-related posts on my blog, they all are more like a little essay than normal informative blog posts. Also, I find them quite irrelevant to beauty-addicts. Normally people who enjoy makeup don't enjoy metal music, or that's my interpretation, but so far that's how things work here. However, today's post is a tad more fun and casual rather than full of personal interpretation and thoughts.

Around this time 3 years ago when I just finished my first year in university, I stumbled upon a movie DVD: Apocalypto and I, actually have never taken myself to watch it, thought "OMG is that Apocalyptica thing the music soundtrack album of this movie?". My attention was mainly caught by the movie's poster, nothing else. I was also in quite a music-crisis as I was tired of all the things I was listening, so yeah, "maybe some soundtracks would be fun".


Distraction! IN YOUR FACE!

It was obvious that I was wrong, but I had known nothing about Apocalyptica back then, so I did a little research and the first thing I listened to was their "Play Metallica By Four Cellos" - which was released in 1996 (humpphh, I was 5 at that time, feel old yet?)

All eight songs from album features Metallica's hits. No need to repeat that I'm also a Metallica's fan, the band that opened a new door to me. Read my other MTT about them here, maybe you'll be interested.
  1. "Enter Sandman" - 3:41 (from Metallica)
  2. "Master of Puppets" - 7:17 (from Master of Puppets)
  3. "Harvester of Sorrow" - 6:15 (from ...And Justice for All)
  4. "The Unforgiven" - 5:23 (from Metallica)
  5. "Sad but True" - 4:48 (from Metallica)
  6. "Creeping Death" - 5:08 (from Ride the Lightning)
  7. "Wherever I May Roam" - 6:09 (from Metallica)
  8. "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)" - 5:50 (from Master of Puppets)



By that time I wasn't really listening to Metallica but just some of their everybody-knows-everybody-hypes-about songs, so "gosh, this movie must be great, listen to this Sanitarium thing, isn't it perfect?" and that was all about it. But then I decided to explore this Apocalyptica thingie further and discovered that they are a BAND, not a soundtrack album, haha xD silly me! I've been listening to them since then, which is somewhat three years now.

Apocalyptica is a Finnish metal band from Helsinki, formed in 1993. The band is composed of classically trained cellists Eicca Toppinen, Paavo Lötjönen, and Perttu Kivilaakso (all three of whom are graduates of the Sibelius Academy in Helsinki) and drummer Mikko Sirén. Originally a Metallica tribute band, their music borrows elements from a wide variety of genres including classical music, neoclassical metal, speed metal, alternative metal, post-grunge, hard rock, progressive metal, thrash metal and symphonic metal. They also incorporate some influences from Middle Eastern music, world music and folk music. They have sold over four million albums to date.

This was a blast! Never before had I listened to a song 100% played by cellos. In fact, at first I thought it was played by electric guitars "no big deal, good music, but nothing TOO spectacular" but once I realized the truth "OMG is it even REAL? What geniuses are these?" :) that explains why I have been hooked for years now. The cover song starts with a slow soft bewitching melody, then rage comes up and breaks the silence, and yet peace takes place again at 1:58 and the magic continues. This is a perfect blend of sweetness and bitterness. And if you care to listen to the original song below and to its lyrics, you will see.




Weekend starts early this week! Hope you have a great day, with a healthy dose of quality music :)


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Suggestions? Thoughts? Do share, I would love to hear from you.