Powered by Blogger.

Social Icons

How To Achieve A Perfect Manicure + Mani Of The Week #1

By 7/22/2013 04:42:00 pm


My very first Mani Of The Week - or should I say MOTW? This looks strange.

Anyway, I'm really fond of painting my nails and used to paint them several times a week depending on my mood and how many new polishes I got between each time, but now I have a full time job so I now just can paint them once a week on either Saturday or Sunday. I don't have to worry about office appropriateness though as I'm the team leader, so who's gonna mess with me *evil grins*

As now it's summer, I am totally in love with neon colours and actually have just bought a few more. Most colours in my collection are variations of green and other cold colours, so I figured it was time to lighten the overall mood and give my nails some fun twist.

This week I chose a neon orange colour with a red undertone (you can see my little haul here), different from normal neon orange with yellow undertone that you can easily find on the market. Indoor it looks just a little fun and bright, but under the sun it's the bomb and totally in-your-face! 




I kinda figured out how to perfect a manicure, which means the surface is smooth without any bubbles. I learned how to achieve this the hard way. Below are the steps:

1. Apply a base coat: it not only prevents any staining effect but also keep your nails from chipping much better than having no base. It's basically like a face primer: to create a smooth and even canvas for the products you're applying later.

2. Apply 2-3 coats of your desired colour depending on the formula and the opacity. I find it generally easier to work with shimmer / metallic / glittery polishes than with cream polish (no shimmer, that is). Apply thin layers instead of a thick one so it will dry faster and the latter coat will smooth out the former. Leave a little space between your colour and your cuticles.

3. Wait for the base colour to dry a little bit, then apply your top coat to seal everything up and help your colour to last. Make sure to wait a bit between the apply time if you want to add 2 layers of top coat (which I always do). Also make sure that there are no bubbles inside your top coat bottle, if there are, just wait for them to varnish. When you dip the brush back to the bottle to get more product, do it slowly and carefully so that the air won't come in too much to create bubbles. Apply top coat slowly will also do the trick to achieve a smooth surface and even out the colour underneath.

4. Clean up the edges by using a cotton bud for bigger mistakes and a tiny synthetic brush dipped in nail polish remover to perfect the shape around your nails and cuticles. Me I use an old fine eye liner brush for this step.

And remember that practice makes perfect. I'm not saying that my nails look perfect now, but they are much much better than how they looked like a few months ago:



Look at those cuticles!


I hope you find this post helpful. Until next time (I'm going to keep staring at my nails now)! :)



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Suggestions? Thoughts? Do share, I would love to hear from you.